Magnus out at NBC, "Studio 60" renewed
Just saw this on TVweek.com. Former Channel 12 anchor Edie Magnus has been laid off from "Dateline NBC," one of the first in the 700 job cubs announced earlier this fall by NBC Universal. The Web site says Magnus and correspondent Robb Stafford were among the 15 layoffs made Thursday. More cuts coming next week at the "Today" show and "NBC Nightly News."
Magnus, a Cincinnati native and Walnut Hills High School graduate, started her career as a writer/reporter for WEBN-FM, then moved to WUBE. She was weekend anchor here in 1985 when hired to be a reporter for ABC News and "Good Morning America." She also worked for CBS News and MSNBC before joining "Dateline" 10 years ago. She's a classy person. Not sure what she might do. She and husband Bob Mayer, a TV producer, have two sons, 11 and 8.
And some good news from NBC
NBC has ordered a full season of Aaron Sorkin's "Studio 60," which has lost audience after a phenomenal start. Seven weeks into the TV season, "Studio 60" is ranked #42 of 112 shows, averaging 10.1 million viewers. It is second in the time period to CBS' "CSI: Miami" (#6, 17.8 million). NBC says "Studio 60" draws "some of the highest audience concentrations" in viewers ages 18-49 earning $75,00 or more, with the head of household having four or more years of college. So that must make advertisers happy. I'm just glad the show will survive the season.