OK, Let's Fill Up That Big Screen
So what should we put on that big screen overlooking
Bill Donabedian, managing director of the square for 3CDC, says “the sky’s the limit” in my story today
He talks about putting on sold-out Bengals or Reds games (it would be fun to watch Opening Day there! What a party!). He wants promotional videos from museums, the CSO and other cultural institutions, or other videos provided by organizations to advertise city events. He also says that 3CDC won’t be producing much video, but instead wants contributions from various groups.
So let’s give him a helping hand.
In the nearly 60 years of
Just off the top of my head, here are some suggestions of films or videotapes that could be retrieved from vaults, attics, garages or collections throughout the region:
1. Bengals Super Bowl highlight films.
2. Reds World Series highlight films – 1990, 1975-76, 1972 and 1972. Don’t forget the 1961 highlight film. What exists from the 1939-40 series? What other sports highlights?
3. "WKRP in
4. "Midwestern Hayride,"
5. Dan Hurley’s Union Terminal TV specials from Channel 12.
6. Weren't there some Delta Queen documentaries?
8. An old "Nick Clooney Show" from Ch 9 or Ch 12? Maybe one with Rosemary Clooney? Or little George?
9. Wasn't there an old "P.M. Magazine" clip in which George Clooney saying he wanted to be a big star some day?
10. Who has the
11. Could the Calloways, or 98 Degrees, or Isleys, or others, provide some performance videos? Which other famous rockers and pop stars from here, dating back to Doris Day?
12. Was it the "Brady Bunch" that shot an episode at
13. Why not ask John Popovich to dig into his vault and put together some themed highlight packages from
14. At least one episode of Rod Serling’s "The Storm," his live drama series at Ch 12 in the very early 1950s, years before "The Twilight Zone," exists. It should be in the big screen’s shuffle.
15. Could someone edit together a "Before They Were (Network) Stars" montage of Bill Hemmer, George Clooney, Ira Joe Fisher, Bob Holtzman, Edie Magnus, Woody Harrelson, Jean Shepherd, Vicki Lewis, Joe Morgan, Rocky Carroll, Rosemary Clooney, Ray Combs, Day, Andy Williams, Red Barber, Red Skelton? Who else?
17. Paul Dixon’s infamous rubber chicken "Chicken Wedding?"
18. Uncle Al. Which other local TV show hosts?
19. Coverage of the 1980 hostage take-over at Channel 9? Other big news events?
20. Opening Day parades?
Let’s give ’em plenty of ideas. We’re already one-fifth the way to 100.
You could think of this as a Wish List.
I think of this as Must See TV, a To Do List for 3CDC.
Who should be showcased among the TV anchors or news personalities? Or the famous guest stars on the Ruth Lyons and Bob Braun shows? What local musicians?
Add to the list!